Fitzrovia, located to the North of Oxford Street & Soho (and for this reason occasionally referred to as Noho) has quietly blossomed in recent years and now recognised as one of the ‘prime’ districts of Central London.
This is boosted by Fitzrovia’s place at the top of the recent Sunday Times ‘Best Places to Live’ list as the most desirable London address. Historically an affluent Georgian neighborhood (many beautiful examples of classic Georgian houses still exist) but having always felt a little neglected compared to neighbouring Marylebone and lacking the character of lively Soho, a real centre emerged with the regeneration of Charlotte Street and the ripple effect has taken hold on the surrounding streets and the area as a whole.
The great selection of cafes & restaurants and ‘grid’ style street layout gives the whole district and air of New York urban village, aptly filled with media and creative types. The redevelopment of the former Middlesex Hospital and Royal Mail sorting office in to the landmark Fitzroy Place & Rathbone Square residential schemes, as well as the recent re-birth of the Berners Hotel as the Ian Schrager designed London Edition with it’s breathtaking Berners Tavern restaurant overseen by Michelin Starred chef Jason Atherton, have all put Fitzrovia firmly back on the map.
10 Fitzrovia Finds
1. Start the day with breakfast (or brunch?) at the Riding House Cafe
2. Get a scandi design fix at Margaret Street’s Republic of Fritz Hansen concept store
3. Step back in time at Pollocks Toy Museum situated in two unrestored yet beautiful Georgian townhouses on Scala Street
5. Marvel at wonderful Georgian period architecture and count the number of blue plaques (one of the highest concentrations of any London address) in the beautiful Robert Adam designed Fitzroy Square.
6. Have lunch with a real wow factor at the Berners Tavern, possibly London’s most beautiful dining room
7. Check out the latest photographic exhibition at the Getty Images Gallery on Eastcastle Street
8. Catch a flick in style at the Charlotte Street Hotel‘s film club hosted in it’s private cinema (Friday & Sunday)
9. Champagne & Hotdogs, a match made in heaven? After a visit to Bubbledogs you’ll wonder why it took them so long…
10. Finish up with a Spanish style G&T (from their list of over 20 speciality gins) or sample some fine Spanish sherry, accompanied by and a couple of small plates of the awesome tapas at Goodge Street’s Barrica